Monday, September 04, 2006

blur like sotong

I came across this on the net. Hilarious! It said Singlish is an economical lauguage by counting how many syllables you can save while speaking.

English / Singlish

Hello, here is my passport. / Nah.
Where do I go to collect my luggage? / Take bag go where, ah?
You mean chewing gum is prohibited in Singapore? / Gum cannot, meh?
What shall we have for dinner this evening? / Tonight eat what, ah?
I' m open to suggestions. / Anything also can.
Do you have a reservation? / You early-early call, not?
Yes, it's reserved under the name “Tan”. / My name 'Tan'!
This way to your table, please. / Come!
What would you recommend? / Here got what, ah?
Our speciality is fine European haute cuisine. / Ang mor makan, lor.
Would you recommend this dish? / This dish how, ah?
It's alright. / Can, lah.
The steak here is exceptional. / Here the steak is tok kong.
We also have a fine selection of pasta. / Also got mee.
Perhaps the fettucine or linguine? / Mee pok, mee kia, also got.
Would you care to sample our desserts? / You want lizard?
May I have the bill, please? / (mime signing cheque)
The prices here are rather steep. / Wah, here damn ex, man.
Next time, I'd rather eat at a hawker center. / Go hawker center also better!

Singish was what disgusted me first when I settled in the country. But, it was also what I carried away with when I left the country.

No comments: