Sunday, November 19, 2006

Desire

Definition: a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment

Desire, to me, is a very powerful engine in life. Only if there is desire, that motivates one to work for satisfaction. Earn money to satisfy my materialist desire; Crame myself with GMAT to satisfy my desire in academic advancement; Please another person to satisfy my desire of love. In economics terms, theory bases on assumption of human having unlimited desire, yet there is limited resources. Therefore there is scarcity and one has to make choice.

In contrary, in Buddhsim, desire lies at the root of suffering. By desire, Buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied. "菩提本無樹,明鏡亦非臺;本來無一物,何處惹塵埃."

There is no right or wrong. It's all about one's choice and be responsible for his choice.

No comments: